2.14.2014

>> journey to my heart {IF Gathering: part one}

I've hesitated with the thought of blogging about the weekend that captivated my heart and changed it forever because I know I won't have the words to convey it all.

Last weekend, my heart was touched by God in a mighty way in a cabin with 24 other women.

The adventure began with four other ladies who I now consider my dear friends. We set off in a front-wheel drive SUV on highways that were mostly clear from the earlier snowfall. The cabin was supposed to be a little over an hour away from where we all live, so we followed the map on one of our phones with great anticipation. The map must've been slightly confused because we ended up lost on a very slick and hilly dirt road. Let me expound on that: We ended up lost and sideways, stuck on a very slick, ice-packed dirt road.

A nice man in a camo sweatshirt driving a camo-clad Chevy truck drove down the road only to find himself trapped by our sideways SUV. Long story short, this man (named Randy) pushed us as Shannon steered; he slipped on the ice and bumped his head on the hard road; and he attempted and failed multiple times to drive us back up the hill to get us back on the highway.

Randy stuck with us at least 30 minutes trying to help us get off this treacherous road before he left and returned with a chain and his bearded friend Eddie Wade. Eddie Wade was the man. He sat in the driver seat of Shannon's car, determined to rescue the five damsels in distress. His first words to us were: "I think I can get it up if you girls don't scream." .....Umm...

Eddie Wade touched the gas pedal, and we slid a little. Someone asked him if he was still confident he could get us up the hill without us having to be pulled. He replied, "I don't think so."

That's when Eddie Wade put the pedal to the metal, gunned it like we were being shot at, all the girls screamed and feared for our lives, and the little SUV flew up the hill and back onto the highway like it was nothing.

We took a few minutes to write down the men's names and addresses (and will be getting together soon to bake cookies and mail them out to these country boys aka angels).

So we were back on the road, still lost, when my friend Ashley says in her southern drawl, "Y'all, I just remembered I have my Garmin in my purse!" We plugged the address into the Garmin and needless to say, it got us where we needed to go.

Come to find out, every car of women heading out to the cabin that day had some kind of trouble. Some got lost, some got stuck, some had to flag down help, some had to pour kitty litter on the road to get out. But we all made it, by the grace of God. My group was the last to arrive. An hour-and-half trip ended up taking closer to four.


Once we actually made it to the cabin, our obstacles weren't over. The driveway was ice-packed and hilly. We got stuck, again, and a couple of ladies who were already there had to attach a rope between both vehicles and pull us out. Before that, we tried putting big sticks under the tires to gain traction, but that was a bust.


Finally we arrived and were welcomed by all the ladies standing on the porch cheering for us. They unloaded our bags for us, and, from there, the real adventure began.

No comments:

Post a Comment