7.13.2009

First Blog!

So it just hit me a few hours ago...while on hiatus from MDO, what better way to spend my Summer than to start a blog! I used to xanga, but apparently that is so 2001...

I feel like I got a new lease on life today! Let me start at the beginning. A while back, and for various reasons, I decided to get my thyroid tested. According to my brother-in-law, who is a doctor-in-training, I display symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Although I put it off as long as I could, hoping my inability to gain weight no matter how much fat I eat would ultimately be explained by a super-fast metabolism, I finally went in and had a blood test done. Yes, they drew blood, and no, I did not faint, but yes, I was uncomfortable and wanted it to be over with as quickly as possible!

Diagnosis: Normal thyroid. (I celebrated by eating a honey bun right before bed, praying my fast metabolism wouldn't stop working overnight!)

Today I had to go back to the doctor for an echocardiogram. I have a heart murmur that my doctor could hear when he listened to my heart, so he wanted me to make sure I didn't have any structural deformities on my heart. I reluctantly put this appointment off as long as I could simply because I hate doctor visits, and of course, being shirtless in a public place. Well, today was the day...I put on the open-front gown and allowed an older nurse named Dorothy to probe, prod, and press (quite hard) on my left chest area. Ow. I asked if a mammogram was more painful. She said yes. I'm not looking forward to that. After 45 minutes or so of this, I am told to come back another day... the thing they use to get the image is not working correctly. I get a call about an hour later and go back because they found one that works. 10 minutes later, I get the news...

Diagnosis: No structural deformities on my heart. I have a murmur, but it is not life-threatening. I celebrated by popping open a can of Sam's Choice Cola and eating popcorn and tootsie roll pops.

Now that I've gotten a healthy report on my thyroid and heart, I feel like I got a new lease on life! I just want to live. Enjoy life. Be thankful more to God for all he's blessed me with. I don't deserve good health or any of the other blessings I have, but He gave them to me. God is so good, and I'm so thankful.

Thanks for reading my first post. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment