8.16.2011

.first day musings.

Today was our first day back to school!

I would say our class had a very successful day. I feel very blessed this year to be teaching with my friend Lindsey. We have a class of 3-year-old's that are so sweet. I am pumped for this year, seeing this group of kids grow and learn. Falling in love with them until eventually...I have to reluctantly let them go.

That is the main reason I wanted to post tonight. I am feeling really sappy about the kids from my past classes. Every year starts out the same: with the teachers and kids unsure about their new surroundings, new friends to make, new personalities to learn and adapt to. The months go by, we make memories unintentionally and grow so close, we feel like we're some kind of extended family of sorts.

Today I saw the kids that were in my class last year. They were with their new teachers and looking a little taller than they did before the Summer. It made my day to hear them say my name then run to give me hugs.

I don't have kids of my own yet, but I know what I'm feeling is a small taste of what moms feel like as they watch their own children grow up.

I feel so proud, blessed to know them and have an influence on their lives, and...sad.

Sad because the reality is that we all get older, life changes and we must adapt and change with it. We have to miss people in this life; we don't always get to stay in the same routine with the same familiar faces. I know that without this constant change, we would never mature or experience new things. I know change is good. Change is necessary.

But, boy, is change hard sometimes.

I know a lot of people understand that more than ever right now. School just started and I have so many friends on facebook talking about sending off their first one off to Kindergarten. I've never realized the impact of how big of a deal that really is until this year. I don't know why, but I have been thinking about those moms a lot lately and just feeling for them. Then I saw my old class today and felt like I was going through it right there with them.

I honestly don't know what the point of this post is other than to document that I am sad...and happy at the same time. Even though I miss my old students, I am excited for my new class. They are so sweet with awesome little personalities and I just know I'm about to grow attached all over again.

I am honored to know that I am influencing these children and teaching them. The main thing I desire is to exude love and full acceptance. Just to demonstrate a portion of God's love for us would be enough.

I am blessed to be a teacher, and anyone who does what I do and can't say that...does not need to be teaching.

The End.

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to what you've described, I remember feeling so sad at the end of each year to say goodbye to those lovely classes and gorgeous students to whom I'd grown so attached. But as you say, each class brings with it different characters and other things to love.

    ReplyDelete