2.13.2012

.how to make an omelet: tutorial.

It's a snowy day here in my neck of the woods.

A perfect day for me to create a tutorial for a culinary task that has stumped even the most capable of chefs for centuries on end. The omelet.

I, myself, only mastered this task a year ago, thanks to my observances of a chef at the Embassy Suites in Kansas City along with a few tips from my husband. (Yes, my husband grasped the concept of creating an omelet long before I ever did. A humbling fact of life.)

So without further ado, How To Make An Omelet. IMHO.

First, gather your ingredients. I use 2 eggs per omelet as well as shredded mozzarella cheese and real bacon bits from a jar. (I don't get too extravagant with my ingredients but you can even add mushrooms, peppers, onions, ham, sausage, etc.)

You'll need a small frying pan to keep the circumference of your omelet at a pleasing size. My smallest pan is probably 6-8 inches. I didn't measure it.

You'll also need a spatula, something to crack the eggs into and whisk together (I use a fork to stir the eggs and my measuring cup to break the eggs into because it has a pour spout.)

You'll also need non-stick spray for your pan and any seasonings you would like to add. The spices I use are pictured later.



First, spray your pan with nonstick spray and get it warming up over medium heat.


While the pan is heating up, break 2 eggs into a measuring cup and mix with a fork until all the yolk is broken up and blended.


Pour the eggs into the pan.


Get your spices out. I only use salt, pepper and a little bit of garlic powder. You'll want to go easy on the garlic powder if you decide to use it.


Allow the eggs to cook until the top is almost firm so that you can flip the eggs over without the top draining. Add your seasonings to the top then flip the eggs over like you would a pancake.


As soon as you've flipped it, lightly season this side then add your bacon bits and shredded cheese (or any other toppings) to one half of the circumference.


The underside should be done cooking by the time you've seasoned and added the toppings, so using your spatula, fold the side without toppings on it over the garnished side. Lift it up out of the pan and onto a plate.


Now eat it. Either gracefully or ravenously; that is your choice.


And that is how to make an omelet, in my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment